Life in an Indian Village
Letters from Jitvapur
In this third of four visits to Jitvapur, we learn how to make cow dung patties for the cooking fire; talk with the head of the village council and with the primary school teacher; talk with two teenagers who expect to leave I the village when they start work; I visit the local tavern; and discover why Chandai doesn't mind if her daughters play truant from school.
2. Wednesday, 11 AM in the fields: Inda Devi & Urla Devi, making cow dung patties
3. Divas and Chandai discuss daughters
4. Sampling palm toddy
5. Sita Devi recites the Ramayana to her grandchildren
6. Bhavan Kumar Jha (18) on his future
7. The cobblers (chamars perform the "The Drunkard's Song"
8. Thursday, 5 AM at the Kali Temple
9. Sudesh Jha, Pa'an wallah
10. Mahdev Sharma, Secretary (mukhaya) of the Jitvapur village panchayat
11. The primary school
12. The Brick making factory
13. A visit to the Prakitka Cinema
14. Program Credits